We get asked this all the time. Which social media platform should I be using, if any?
Of course there is no simple answer. It depends what you are trying to sell and to who. Where do you want to reach and what do you want them to do when they find you?
New statistics from DREAMGROW were just published showing the changes in usage of social media.
Although, Facebook monthly active user count breaks new highs globally it has lost market share for several years in US. Starting from near 70% dominance. This has dropped to 36.64%.
People are diversifying their social media use. Globally Facebook reached an important milestone of 2.20 BILLION monthly active users.
The fight to be the third social networking site is between Twitter and Reddit. The race for the fifth place is between image-based social networks Pinterest and Facebook-owned Instagram.
TikTok is available in over 160 countries, has over 1.1 billion users, and has been downloaded over 220 million times in the United States alone
TikTok remains teens’ most favored social media platform so far in 2023, though its favorability fell one percentage point from the fall of 2022 with a 37% share, according to Piper Sandler’s Spring 2023 report.
Who is using it?
2023 statistics from Statista
- people spend on average 147 minutes a day on social media
- internet users between the ages of 40 and 44 spend more time on social media than any other demographic (59.8 minutes)
- They were followed by ages 20-39 (56 minutes), 50+ (56 minutes), and those under 19 (49 minutes)
- Just over half of all global social media users identify as male (54%)
- Snapchat is the only platform with more female users than males (54% female vs. 46% male)
- Youtube is the most popular in the USA – 81% of US adults say they use Youtube, followed by Facebook (69%) and Instagram (40%)
- Worldwide 57% of TIKTOK uses identify as female
- More than 2 in 5 TikTok users are between the ages of 18 and 24 (42%)
- 31% of users are 25-34; 13% are 35-44; 7% are 45-54; and 4% are over 55
- India has the most prominent Instagram audience in the world at 230 million users
- Linkedin has 810 million users